Monday, July 22, 2013

Owning .VS. Being Owned

“Someone in the crowd said to him, ‘Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.’ Jesus replied, ‘Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?’ Then he said to them, ‘Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.’ And he told them this parable: The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, ‘You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.” –Luke 12:15-21

 
 
This parable above really relates to our lives today and how we live in a society hungering for more and more. News flash though guys! Possessions and lust for things of this life will only leave you wanting more and being unsatisfied. It’s like a drug. This relates even to relationships, sex, and chasing the world’s way of thinking. Think about that time you really wanted that object or girl in your life and you thought to yourself, “If only I could have that I would be so happy and my life would be complete.” Men, what happened eventually after you got what you wanted? Did it complete your life or did you eventually want something bigger, faster, and newer? God knows our desires guys and he tells us in his Word to hunger after him. He is the only real thing that can bring your heart and soul satisfaction. Secondly, don’t envy others and what they have. Remember, they are on a different journey and you can only be you and that’s just where God wants you so he can use you to reach your full potential in his will for your life. Comparing yourself to others only leaves you miserable, frustrated and unhappy. There’s a saying that goes, “He who compares loses.” Get your eyes off of others when desiring more. Instead, look to give more to others whether it's your time, energy, money, or possessions. It will bring your life more fulfillment. meaning, and purpose.

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with having nice things but God wants our lives to be available to be used by him to serve and reach others. Yes, this does take sacrifice. But if we never sacrifice and let ourselves be stretched, how do we grow and see the wonderful power of God through our circumstances? God loves us too much to just let us be spoiled brats living comfortably while never being forced to grow. It's in the uncomfortable times we grow the most. God wants open and willing hearts and hands to be lead to what he desires for us to do. If you stay tuned to the Holy Spirit’s leading in your heart you will often feel a tug at you to go up and encourage someone or give a little more. You can change lives if you are willing to show acts of kindness as he leads you. It’s so sad to see a man holding onto riches and earthly possessions so tightly that they actually own him. I see it with me and my truck and as soon as I see a new scratch somewhere on the body it bugs me and I have to remind myself that this cannot be allowed to own me.

Men, I live in sunny Orange County, California and am constantly finding myself having to stay out of the “bigger and better” way of thinking. God wants us to be like a hose or sieve where we can just let his blessings and generosity pour through us to others. The great things about this is when we open our lives up to being a servant to give to others, he actually blesses us along the way too. Just keep in mind that every good thing comes from him and always give the credit back to him for our success or when someone wants to give us credit for living this servant hood lifestyle. I can see it in my own life when I struggle to write that tithe check out to put in the offering that something in my heart is off and I’m not being the faithful servant that God asks me to be especially because that tithe is his and everything in my life is supposed to be available to him and what he wants to do with it. If God decides you should give something away then just do it. He’s obviously got something better in store for you. Don’t make the mistake of missing out on a blessing because you weren’t obedient to his prompting. Yes, this will stretch you and he's molding you to grow which is so important. Think of yourself as an available servant to be used to pour blessings out on others. Start this way of thinking today. Don’t miss out one more moment.

It’s hard to grip tightly on things in your life when you’re living with open hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment